11.19.2010

Discovering Your God-Given Talents

God made us unique! We each have our own special talents. One person may know the ins and outs of a car, another may have the ability of speech, and when they talk, everyone listens. Some people are amazing cooks, and others can sing like a bird. But, what happens if your talent is taken away, and you are forced to find a new purpose in life?

Julie Andrews is well known for her beautiful voice that can hit notes only a dog could hear! She is famous for her musicals, such as "Sound of Music" and "Mary Poppins". She was traveling with a musical, when her voice became strained, and she started having trouble hitting her notes. She eventually had surgery on her vocal chords, and her voice never fully recovered. Devastated, she didn't know what to do anymore. Her talent since childhood had been quickly stripped from her, and she had no idea where to go from there. Her daughter encouraged her to start writing children's books, and she began to find joy in that. Later, her daughter told her that she had found a "new voice" through writing books. Had Julie never lost her voice, she would have never realized the amazing ability she had to write. Her books are now on the best seller list.

I have never considered myself a writer. I use to write poems and stories as a child, but later in life, music became my primary focus. Out of nowhere, God placed on my heart to start this blog, and told me that if I do what He asks, He will bless it. So, I began to write, and instantly became irritated that I just couldn't finish it correctly. So, I spent all week writing up a blog and finished it that Saturday. Frustrated that it wasn't sounding quite right, my husband told me that if it was going to bother me so much, to just stop writing. So, we went to church on Sunday, and the sermon that was preached was the same as my blog, right down to the Scripture verse. God had showed me that He wanted to use me, even though I would have never considered this one of my talents.

In the Bible, God tells Moses that He is sending him to the king, and he is to lead the Israelites out of Egypt! Exodus 3:11 says, "But Moses said to God, 'I am not a great man! How can I go to the king and lead the Israelites out of Egypt?'....God's response? "I will be with you." What an amazing response! What more do we need than God beside us?

What are your talents? Are you using them? Has tragedy struck you and now you feel useless? Or, maybe God has placed something new on your heart, and you are worried about failure! Begin to pray and let God show you the things He has in store for your life. If God can use me, He can certainly use you!

No comments:

Post a Comment